How to find the best Airbnbs and get the most out of them
I have been staying at Airbnbs for years and been loving it since. My first time staying at an Airbnb was in Cuba actually and it was great!
What I like about Airbnbs is that they provide more local experience, you get an instant connection to a local as soon as you click ‘book’.
What is Airbnb?
Airbnb is a company that connects you to thousands of people that rent out their spaces for you to enjoy on vacation. It could be a shared or private room or an entire place. There are also Airbnb experiences which let you book a tour or unique experience with a local (think: tours, cooking courses, adventure trips).
Why choose an Airbnb over a hotel?
Hotels are nice and comfortable but most of the time, they miss a big piece I’m looking for when I travel: local culture. Airbnbs offer you a direct connection to locals, real neighborhoods and a place that feels like home. I honestly love them and I choose them over hotels. Lots of times, they are cheaper too.
How to find good Airbnb?
These are the things I keep an eye for when booking an Airbnb:
- Good reviews
- Superhost status, this means they have a 5-star rating
- If you find an Airbnb Plus property it means it meets a higher standard of quality
- Beds and/or bedrooms available, you can check how many beds there are available (especially important if you travel with friends)
- Check the location, sometimes you can just see the area (you get the address when you book), so I try to find a landmark and calculate the public transport time to downtown or points of interest using Google Maps
My experiences with Airbnb
I have only had good experiences with Airbnbs. I have stayed in Cuba, Norway, France, Chile, Denmark, Netherlands, US, etc. I have not had bad experiences, although they do happen they are rare. I say if you are careful when booking (see list above) and use common sense, you will have no problems. Airbnb provides support if you have any issues.
Best tips to get the most out of an Airbnb experience:
- Save any listings that you find interesting and share with your friends to choose the best one
- Book in advance, that way you will find more options
- Message your host: you might make a new friend, I always message about tours I am interested in to see if they recommend them and if they have any tour company they prefer
Get $40 off with this link if you are booking for the first time. I will get some credit too, thanks!
What do you think? If you found this blog post useful, please take a screenshot, share it on your stories and tag me (@amapoland). Thank you!
Read this next: How to book cheap flights